Thursday 17 April 2014

A guide to the 'Friend Zone'



Ok, first of all, I'm going to try and keep this post light hearted and not too full on.
Because talking about the 'friend zone' (note that I put it in quote marks because it's metaphorical and also quite douchey) can be seen as a very touchy subject and can cause a lot of gender wars.

So.... what is the 'friend zone'?

The 'friend zone' is basically a place where a guy or a girl (or whatever gender you place yourself in) likes another person (whoever you're attracted to) and that person doesn't like you back.
The way they usually say that they don't like you in that way is through subtle hints, such as:

"You're like a brother to me. I hope our friendship never ends. :D"
"You know, I just really value our friendship. We're such good friends."

The term 'friend zone' is a popular phrase used by another gender to discriminate against another gender in today's society which quite frankly, I find a bit stupid. I researched a few online definitions of the 'friend zone' (*cough* urban dictionary) and saw that most people think it is a place more commonly experienced by men that women. Wow.... okay.... I won't comment on that because it'll start a war, most likely. But I'll tell you that women experience this too.


The friendzone is ridiculous.
I'll tell you why it is.

Because you can't blame someone for not liking you back. It's not their fault that they're not scientifically attracted to you. No matter how much of a nice guy/girl you are, you can't play the victim of someone who just simply doesn't like you in the same way.
You can buy them stuff and compliment them, but this won't make them scientifically attracted to you. You can't make someone love you and if you think this:

"I'm a nice guy/girl! Why doesn't he/she like me back? They only go for bad girls/guys. It's their fault they don't like me back. I didn't do all this nice stuff just to be their friend!"

then you're rather stupid.
:)


But how can I get out of the 'friend zone'?

Tell them you love them and either get rejected or be their girlfriend/boyfriend.
If you're scared of getting rejected and you won't be friends again, then wooow. What a strong foundation your friendship was built on.
If you're good friends and they don't like you back in the same way, then you won't fall out as friends.
It's fun being just friends with someone of the opposite gender.

Oh and.... look at this picture.
(credit to coyoteandcatfish)




-Harriet

No comments:

Post a Comment